Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Cockfighting in the Philippines



What do you know about cockfighting? In Philippines we call it "SABONG" Just this moment while I was browsing the net I remember my friend of mine who really loves cockfighting. And so my Dad too. As far as I can remember every Sunday my Dad always tells my Mom that he will go for Sunday's school. And on that young age of mine I don't know what does Sunday's school means. I ask myself, "Is there a class on Sunday's?".

Well, as time goes by I know what does that "Sunday's School" means. It's every Sunday's that my Dad goes for Cockfighting.It's my Dad's past time. Cockfighting is a centuries-old blood sport in which two or more specially bred birds, known as gamecocks, are placed in an enclosure to fight, for the primary purposes of gambling and entertainment. A cockfight usually results in the death of one of the birds; sometimes it ends in the death of both. A typical cockfight can last anywhere from several minutes to more than half an hour. Yes, its kind of cruel game. But it is one of the Philippines' national sports.

A quick view of how a Farm looks like...



Many Filipinos would gamble on the cockfight.My friend way back in Pinas they got this farm (SPRING WATER GAMEFARM)of fighting cocks. The Cocks in their farm are treated like humans. They would feed them, give vitamins, and give them a shower. If the cock has been injured, but still alive, they would usually use it for reproduction. For fighting they would use gloves in an illegal fight, but would use blades in the legal fights. Well, its a good business too.

Here's my friend with his fighthing cock!



That's Khazim, my friends nephew..Wow, it runs in their blood..he loves cocks already..


Well, here in States cockfighting is illegal in all, and it is a felony. Besides being cruel to animals, cockfighting is closely connected to other crimes like gambling, drug dealing, illegal firearms sales and even homicide.

I think that every country have different views of cockfighting. Anyhow, I have witnessed by my two eyes how this cocks fight and its kind of cool. As long as the persons knows whats he's been dealing with then I think there's no problem at all.

By the way, my Dad till now still go to his "Sunday's School". Wanna be his "CLASSMATE"...enrollment still going on!!! And you are always welcome as long as you are in legal age, okey?



-->

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

1 Comments:

At May 28, 2008 at 2:50 PM, Blogger AiDiSan said...

My dad is also addicted to sabong and he goes to sabungan every Sunday, it's the only vice he has and most of the time natatalo sya. Though he's addicted to it, he knows his limit and can not bet more than he can.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home